What can I expect to happen at an examination?
Your dentist will:
- Look at your face and neck to see that they are healthy
- Feel under your jaw
- Look inside your mouth, at your tongue, your cheeks and lips, the roof of your mouth and the back of your throat (places where there might be a problem that you can’t see or feel)
- Look at your teeth and gums to see whether they are healthy or whether there are signs of decay, damage or gum disease (for children, your dentist will also look at tooth and jaw development in case orthodontic treatment might be needed now or later)
- Compare your mouth now with how it was when they last saw you
- Decide whether they need more information from x-rays, or from plaster models showing how your teeth bite together
- Tell you about any treatment you need, explaining the choices and whether there will be any cost.
The examination may take longer if you are seeing a new dentist for the first time.
What are the benefits?
Regular examinations mean that your dentist can spot problems and correct them early before the treatment becomes complicated.
A thorough examination helps you and your dentist look after your mouth and prevent future problems. The dentist will explain the options and then you can decide together what will be best for you.
Regular Examination Price: £32
New Patient Examination: £49
Small X-rays £9
Large All Round X-ray £42